Swedfund is the Swedish Government’s Development Finance Institution (DFI) with mission to fight poverty by investing in sustainable businesses in developing countries. We do this by contributing to the creation of more jobs with decent working conditions and by improving access to essential important products and services such as renewable energy and health. As a DFI we are additional and catalytic by acting as accelerator to boost funding in developing countries.
Swedfund was founded in 1979, and has since invested in more than 240 businesses, financial institutions and funds in developing countries. Swedfund is a long-term and active investor focused on supporting sustainable growth of our investee companies. At the end of 2021, Swedfund had 61 investments in companies, financial institutions and funds, with over 60 percent of the portfolio being targeted at sub-Saharan Africa. Swedfund has offices in Stockholm, Sweden, and Nairobi, Kenya with a total of 55 employees.
Location: Nairobi (Travel within Kenya, the African continent and to Europe should be expected, and forms a necessary part of the work)
Reporting functionally to the Head of ESG in Stockholm, Sweden, with day-to-day contacts with the ESG team in Stockholm and oversight from the Head of Nairobi Office, the ESG Manager will be part of Swedfund’s ESG Team. The responsibilities will include integrating ESG considerations into our investment process. You will be involved in ESG analysis of new potential investments, monitoring our current portfolio companies’ ESG performance, assisting them develop ESG management systems and value creation activities, and contributing to Swedfund’s sustainability framework, tools, and reporting.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Conducting ESG due diligence analysis of new potential investments;
- Executing analyses, preparing concise, and compelling presentations for the Investment Committee and others;
- Monitoring portfolio companies’ ESG performance through annual online surveys, calls and visits, monitoring implementation of ESG Action Plans and providing recommendations;
- Reporting on the implementation of the ESG framework in individual portfolio companies and at portfolio level;
- Working cross-functionally to facilitate the development and execution of successful ESG strategies, and program initiatives for our portfolio of companies;
- Keeping abreast of ESG and corporate governance trends at the regulatory and industry level;
- Supporting the ESG team and the Nairobi Head of Regional Office in advocacy and partnership development with key stakeholders in the region.
- 5-7 years of professional experience in responsible investment and sustainability, holding key roles in ESG and sustainability;
- Demonstrated experience in leading and delivering professional services as a trusted advisor;
- Experience and knowledge of IFC Performance Standards and ILO Conventions, decent work, labour conditions and terms of employment is required;
- Experience and knowledge from the Financial sectors (financial institutions or PE funds) is preferred;
- Understanding of the work of leading Development Finance organisations such as IFC, Worldbank, AfDB, MFIs and DFIs is an advantage;
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required, with emphasis in sustainability, social studies, financial or business studies;
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills in English is required, additional language skills are an advantage.
We are looking for a dynamic person, passionate about driving results in a fast-paced organisation, with a proven ability of working effectively and to deliver quality results in a time conscious manner.
Ability to collaborate and work in a cross functional team is key; as is the capability to function well individually, and in physical and virtual groups and settings.
Sounds like you?
If interested in this role, please submit your application, comprising a one-page cover letter and CV no longer than 3 pages.
Note that applicants must be eligible to live and work in Kenya.
Further details will be provided to shortlisted candidates when invited to interview, but we hope to hold interviews in person at our offices subject to restrictions remaining in place because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
If we are not able to hold interviews in person, these will take place virtually via Zoom.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Diversity, equity and inclusion are central themes to Swedfund International. We are committed to treating all employees and job applicants fairly, equally, and no less favourably than anyone else. We recognise, respect and value diversity and the benefits that difference can bring to our organisation.
If you encounter any problems with the application process, please contact: email@example.com or call +254 20 240 0339.